I posted a very similar question yesterday, here -
http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-en/browse_thread/thread/c50d8efbf11f0a22#1328b2f196d81e7f

I possibly worded the question badly and haven't had a reply yet but
would also be very interested in a neat way to do this.

People must often need a way to find out the index of an element
amongst it's siblings ?

Jon