On Nov 30, 2007, at 9:57 PM, Rob_ wrote:

So, in your situation, you can do this:

$("dt.current").next('dd').addClass("show")

Makes me blush, thank you ;-)
Maybe I'm looking for solutions to deeply...

BTW: any useful philosophy behind your use of single and double
quotes?
I assume you can mix them to taste, but I'm not always sure if I see
pros writing it like you did.
But maybe pros are human too... ;-)

Hi Rob,

---I wrote this once already, but my email app ate it for dinner. ---

The single versus double quote thing is largely a matter of taste. From what I've seen of John Resig's code, it looks like he uses double quotes -- he's the pro, not me. :-)

I use single quotes for convenience and consistency. Because I sometimes insert HTML markup inside the $(), I can use single quotes to wrap everything and then double quotes for attributes, without having to escape anything. For example, if I'm creating a div with class of "happy," I can do this:

$('<div class="happy"></div>')

If I had used double quotes, I'd have to either use single for "happy," which I don't think is even valid xhtml, or escape its double quotes, which feels cumbersome to me. So, it would look like this:

$("<div class='happy'></div>")

or this:

$("<div class=\"happy\"></div>")

There are probably good, sound reasons for double quoting, too. I'd say that whichever you choose, it's probably best to maintain consistency within your own script.

Cheers,

--Karl
Karl Swedberg
www.englishrules.com