John's got an example of chaining in his book, "Pro JavaScript
Techniques", that isn't working for me. More importantly, I don't
understand what the code is intending to do, so I can make an attempt
to fix it. The code in general is adding a help cursor and a red star
to a field in a form to indicate that the field is required. The chain
looks something like this:

$('input.required')
     .prev('label')
     .css('cursor','help')
     .title(errMsg.required)
     .append('<span class="required">*</span>');

I've substituted my own explicit error message for errMsg.required,
but javascript complains that .title( "..." ) is not a function. It's
not in the current API. What is the intent of this call?

Howard