Maybe put a piece of JS at the beginning of the page before anything else,
that adds the display:none dynamically.  It SHOULD avoid a page blinking and
hide the contents before they load.  If JS is off, then the cols would be
visible.

Then once everything is loaded use the fadeOn("slow") function.

Totally untested, but I probably could whip something up.

However, warning, it is not always a pleasant experience to have a page
fadeOn.  It's a little annoying to a user who thinks the page is SLOW or
something is wrong with their screen.  I would avoid the effect peersonally.

Glen