I figured it out last night after I posted this. I just needed to assign the
new element to a variable of some sort (or in my case an array item). I
already had created an array to keep track of whether or not each image had
already been preloaded (to avoid duplication), so instead of setting those
array values to true/false, I just assigned the new image to them and it
worked like a charm in all browsers.

myimagearray[theimageindex] = $(' ').attr('src',buildThePathHere);

or you could do it without jquery:

myimagearray[theimageindex] = new Image();
myimagearray[theimageindex].src = buildThePathHere;