Stefan Petre wrote:
> Maybe this helps http://www.debugbar.com/
I've yet to work out how that thing allows /debugging/ - it's got some
basic features for looking at various aspects of the page, but it's
hardly a debugger IMHO?

There is a free "Microsoft Script Debugger" (MSD), but it's pants and
quickly gets confused by even slightly complex pages.

There is also a "Microsoft Script Editor" (MSE) which comes with MS
Office 2003+ (and possibly also FrontPage). It's far better than MSD but
still pretty pants, as you would expect from MS.

http://www.jonathanboutelle.com/mt/archives/2006/01/howto_debug_jav.html

If you want to splash the cash, you could use Microsoft Visual Studio
but that seems like overkill to me just to get decent debugging in the
browser.

There's Firebug Lite which you can embed in your pages, but I haven't
tried it so don't know what it's like.

http://www.getfirebug.com/lite.html

I ended up using Aptana (specifically the professional version) which
seems to generally help me track down and solve problems, although I've
not yet worked out how to pre-set breakpoints on sites where the JS is
on the server and not directly accessible to me - eg. a script within a
.jar file in a J2EE app.

http://www.aptana.com/products/studio_professional.php

I blogged about my MSIE debugging hell:

http://www.adaptavist.com/display/~gfraser/2007/11/09/Script+debugging+in+MS+Internet+Exploder