Okay, I don't know if this is playing a role in my "issue" or not, but
it now seems that it might be.  Hopefully the jQuery experts can set
me straight.  This is the actual block that I was using.  Note that
there are -two- "rules" (is that even the right term?) for the
'.cluetip-wide' class; one by itself, followed by one that pertains to
nesting under a caption tag.

$(document).ready(function() {
        $('.cluetip-wide').cluetip({width: 450px'});
        $('caption .cluetip-wide').cluetip({topOffset: '-15px', width:
'450px'});
});

The above results in the topOffset being ignored.  However, changing
that block to the following has solved my dilemma for now.  While that
is wonderful, I'd like to know _why_ it solved the "issue".

$(document).ready(function() {
        $('.cluetip-wide').cluetip({positionBy: 'mouse', width: '450px'});
        $('caption .cluetip-wide').cluetip({positionBy: 'mouse', topOffset:
'-15px', width: '450px'});
});

Thanks again,

Matt