Theres lots of ways to do it, eg:

$(document).ready(function()
{
        $('ul#content li a').click(function() {   // binds a function
to every link in every list object in the ul called content.
                $('ul#content
li').removeClass('active').addClass('inactive'); // removes the class
'active' and adds the class 'inactive' to all the li elements in the
ul call content

this.parent().removeClass('inactive').addClass('active'); // removes
the class 'inactive' and adds the class 'active' to the parent li of
the clicked link.
                return false;

Or you could ditch the links and bind it directly to the li elements
and do:

$(document).ready(function()
{
        $('ul#content li').click(function() {   // binds a function to
every list object in the ul called content.

this.parent().children('.active').removeClass('active').addClass('inactive'); //
sets all 'active' li objects to inactive
                this.removeClass('inactive').addClass('active'); //
set current li to active
                return false;