This is a bit of an odd request, but maybe there's something simple
I'm overlooking.

I have a function which pulls JSON data from Google's GData service.
Normally this works pretty well, save a bug or two on Google's end.
The problem is that errors are served as a plain text string without a
JSON wrapper. This throws a parse error in the browsers. What I want
to do is read that string.

Is there a way to extract/view/read the script contents of an external
script with a script?

I want to use JQuery or raw JavaScript to read the returned value. The
string is visible in the web inspectors in Safari and Firefox, but
nothing I've come up with has managed to reveal it.

The only real catch here is that the solution must be 100% client-
side, there can be no server-side proxy.