You may be able to determine the height while the divs are still
visible - before applying the cycle plugin. Avoid the likely flicker
by moving the divs temporarily out of view (to one side rather than
hidden). Bringing them back into view after applying the cycle plugin.

I have not used the cycle plugin - I guess it is similar to the
carousel plugin? I vaguely remember the carousel plugin having
something to do what you are looking for built iin
http://sorgalla.com/projects/jcarousel/
I could be thinking of the wrong plugin?