I might be misunderstanding, but the arrows in the example link are not done
with javascript - it's just css (from the linked page):

#menuh a.top_parent, #menuh a.top_parent:hover  /* attaches down-arrow to
all top-parents */
        {
        background-image: url(navdown_white.gif);
        background-position: right center;
        background-repeat: no-repeat;
        }

#menuh a.parent, #menuh a.parent:hover  /* attaches side-arrow to all
parents */
        {
        background-image: url(nav_white.gif);
        background-position: right center;
        background-repeat: no-repeat;
        }

Basically, you're just setting a background image for 'parent' LI's. Unless
you're looking for javascript to determine if an LI contains a UL, and then
assign a class?