T,
Keep you head up, we have all felt that way.

What I normally do is something like:

  $("#meter").attr("src","img/meter_on.gif") // change the src tag to the
animate gif
$.ajax({
url: 'myurl',
success : function(){//do processing},
error: function(){/process error},
complete : function(){$("#meter").attr("src","img/meter_off.gif")} // this
gets called after success and error callbacks are executed
});

Let me know if that makes sense?

--
Benjamin Sterling