Try this code and see the difference in animation.
With the div's doing the "sliding", there's no "jerk"
as there is with table rows.

jQuery:

                $(document).ready(function() {
                        $("#hide1").click(function() {
                                $("#div1").slideToggle("slow");
                                return false;

HTML:

I know it looks weird, but I use it to slide
"table rows" ( where actually each row is a table of its own,
wrapped in a DIV ) and detail divs in a calendar.  I do get
some brief moments of "jerkiness" in IE, but it may have more
to do with interruptions to processor cycles than anything else.

Is this what you're trying to do?  I wasn't sure because you
were initially hiding table row one.  (Was that your intention?)

Rick