IMHO, I stepped out of web design for a while, and on my way back in
jQuery felt like a godsend.  For me, jQuery makes all the javascript I
want to write faster and more effective and compatible.  It solves
tons of crossbrowser quirks and bugs, and the syntax reads like
english to me.  The jQuery library is full of useful tools and methods
for common programming situations.

There are a ton of fantastic resources for jQuery also, the community
being the strongest.  Search the discussion groups to find tons of
answers, and also check the tutorials as Glen suggested.  There is
also www.learningjquery.com and 15daysofjquery.com -- which I now see
are linked from the Tutorial page, but I still want to mention them.

As I understand the JavaScript language better, I appreciate jQuery
more and more and it has become more powerful for me as well.  Having
a good understanding of JavaScript, CSS, and X(HT)ML principles will
help you get the most out of jQuery, as jQuery helps to do things the
right way.

Charles