Without digging deeply, this sounds like the applying-opacity-to-a-png-
filtered-image bug + the ie-alpha-filter-over-text bug.  Basically, IE
6 & 7 suck at processing opacity.

http://www.hedgerwow.com/360/bugs/fix-ie-opacity-text.html
http://www.quirksmode.org/bugreports/archives/2007/02/Cant_have_both_PNG32_and_alphaopacity_in_IE7.html

Don't pay attention to my comment on Quirksmode, I thought I'd
discovered another workaround but I was wrong.  Unfortunately
quirksmode hasn't posted my comment telling me how wrong I was :-/.

I've found the best way to deal with PNG in IE is to process all the
alpha filters on page load with the images hidden, and display them
afterwards.  This means more IE-specific code (and longer load times),
however, so it's a matter of preference.

HTH

Charles