Hi..

Does anyone know how one could generate a mousedown event
programmatically in order to cause a draggable to start
dragging?

I have a number of overlapping, absolutely positioned divs where
certain sections of the background images are transparent..  What I
need to do is to allow the user to drag the topmost div that is not
transparent at the xy coord of the mouse down event..  What I'd like
to do is to register for the mousedown event, iterate through all
elements that overlap the xy coord, make the first one that isn't
transparent at that point draggable, and fire a mousedown event on
that element, starting the drag..

For example, if you look at the diagram (ascii art) at the bottom of
this message, there are two rectangles (may be distorted) with a small
rectangle cut out of the middle of each..  One rectangle filled with
"#" chars is above the other which is filled with "<" chars, but part
of the "<" rect is visible behind the "#" rect.. The user needs to be
able to drag the "<" rect by clicking through the hole in the "#"
rect..  I have an in memory boundary representation of the filled
rects, so I can query this to do the hit testing, but need a mechanism
to start the dragging programmatically..  Generating a "click" event
doesn't seem to work as this seems to fire after releasing the mouse
where dragging occurs on mouse down..

Any thoughts?

Thanks.. -Ed