My issue is that remote requests, especially those involving an
external server, can take a second or two.   It's nice to give the
user an indication that something is happening, which is why a spinner
isn't 'useless'.  It would be great if someone could give me a push in
the right direction.

Also, I noticed that even though the 'Check URL' field on my form
(http://monovisiondesign.com/client/jquery/validate-url/form.php) is
not required, it still performs a remote call and a label.checked is
applied to the field when it's left empty.  Am I doing something wrong
or is there a way to prevent that?