On 31 Jan., 13:17, howa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Let's say I have to make a user customizable front page, e.g. There
> are multiple blocks within a page (e.g. sports, news, finance, game
> etc), users would be able to choose their preferences (Something
> similar to Yahoo or iGoogle),  they might choose the ordering, or to
> load/hide different blocks ect. The settings will be stored in
> cookies.
>
> I am considering serveral methods, e.g.
>
> 1. use of dynamic script (PHP) to read the cookie and do the loading/
> hiding, only use Javascript only do the ordering.
> 2. completely use Javascript to rendering

i am strongly suggesting to use php (or other serverside language of
choice) as:
- cookie-size is limited, using javascript you have to store all user-
preferences into one/several cookies
but with serverside scripting you may store the whole configuration in
some backend-system (e.g. db) and only store the hash (much more
flexibility)
- you will most definitely need server-side scripting for the user-
configured widgets (news, finance) as you may need some domain-local
data-provider for ajax-calls, so use it for user-profile/config data-
storage too.

i would'nt use clientside-scripting "as much as possible", rather use
it where it is *needed*.
serverside-scripting runs in a defined environment which makes it
inherently more stable, its source is protected and you have full
control over backend-storage.

nutshell: php ;)

yours,
kai