FYI, for anyone else who might want a solution for this..

I ended up doing it using an alternate reverse ajax which closes the
connection after an update is sent.

On the first call, the client requests a long-executing call be
started.  The server starts a thread to perform the request and
returns an ID to identify the request.

The client then updates the page UI and immediately requests an update
from the server.  The server sits on the request (pauses the request
thread) until new status information is available, at which point it
sends the status back to the client (I use XML do to the
infrastructure of my site, you could use JSON).  The client then
updates the UI again.

This repeats until the state received from the server indicates the
call is complete.

- Jamie