I am trying to append an input box with quotes in the value, and no
matter how many escapes I put on the quote (thinking maybe the escapes
needed to be escaped), it fails to insert properly, like jQuery just
ignores all escapes and goes straight for the quote.

i.e.- If I try something like the following:

$('form').append('<input type="text" name="foo" value="Quote - \"This
is a quote\"" />');

The element that gets appended to the form has the following html:

<input type="text" name="foo" value="Quote - "This is a quote"" />

Obviously, this is incorrect, and I can't get around this, it's user
driven content, and I can't just ask my users to stay away from
quotes.

Is there anything I can do to rectify this issue?  Besides going in
and editing the value after insert?