Thanks for looking at this Jörn,

but then the ajaxQueue plugin becomes rather moot, doesn't it?
Also I was trying to make a plugin of the code above. I "just" needed
a way to ensure the initial call had come back before continuing.
And for a few minutes there I thought the queue plugin was going to do
that for me transparently:
Queued Ajax requests.
 * A new Ajax request won't be started until the previous queued
request has finished.

I guess I'll just have to wrap my head around how to transport the
jquery selected elements into a nested ajax calls and do the $.each
loop inside the initial success function (I'm talking about the
plugin).

Vielen Dank fuer die Hilfe
CIAO

Angelo