Dave,
Most of the plugins you are going to find will use flash to get the progress
bar and some other functionality that you just can't get with javascript.  I
am not sure how the jqUploader functions, but I believe that it would fail
nicely if flash is not installed giving you the basic html file input.

With that said, what are you looking to get from the plugin?

--
Benjamin Sterling
http://www.KenzoMedia.com