Totally fair point, and one that Dennis's snippet doesn't fix
entirely.

I was fretting over http://jquery.cherryaustin.com, which has a nested
div structure. The 'natural' tabs were all over the place - the divs
are all javascript show/hide jobs, and various browsers set various
tabs according to what they deemed visible (or so it seems, anyhow!).
I started off manually setting tabs to fit in with the nested
structure. Got fed up. Requested help.

This little code does exactly as it says in Firefox. IE7 seems to
disregard it, setting its own tabs according to its own rules ...
haven't tried it elsewhere.

As my site is basically an off-the-cuff blog, I'm just happy to have
my tabs set in *some* sort of logical order. But, if we're looking for
lessons out of the exercise, I'd say: [1] Natural (browser) tabbing
isn't reliable, if your page has a complex/mutable structure; [2] Auto-
magic indexing isn't reliable either, but is better than an abandoned
manual system!