No takers, eh? Anyone using WCF with jquery without asp.net ScriptManager?

TIA,
Jack

Jack Killpatrick wrote:

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone can advise me or steer me to some useful links... I'm doing some research about MS WCF 3.5 web services and how it can be used for json-based web services. All of the examples I'm finding use the asp.net ScriptManager tag on a server side page so that a js proxy for the web service methods gets created on page load. I don't want to use asp.net for page generation.

I'm looking for an example of how to use jquery in a non-asp.net rendered page to make calls to the WCF 3.5 web services. IE, I want my client side code to be server agnostic: it could be plain HTML, or an AIR app, etc....not an asp.net app, not a page rendered by asp.net. I think I'm basically looking for a way around having to rely on the asp.net ScriptManager to generate the js proxy: I just want to call the services via jquery ajax calls, without having to rely on what the proxy would generate for me.

Hope this makes sense to someone ;-) .... Any advice or links is welcome.

BTW, this is research particularly for using WCF 3.5, so no need to recommend other backend WS technologies (unless maybe they are alternate WS engines that have a minimal C# learning curve and are not heavily bound internally to XML documents, like Dream is).

Thanks,
Jack