We recently dealt with the same problem with IE on the Fluid project.
We fixed it by trapping both the ondrag and onselectstart events.
Note: these events only need to be trapped in IE and they are not
jQuery events so you need to cast the object to a browser DOM object
before trapping.

Here is our code. Note that domNode is a jQuery object that was set up
in an earlier function and get(0) is what casts it to a browser DOM
object.

if (jQuery.browser.msie) {
        domNode.get(0).ondrag = function () { return false; };
        domNode.get(0).onselectstart = function () { return false; };
}

- Eli Cochran
  user interaction developer
  ETS, UC Berkeley