Well, I'm not sure if this really needs a ticket since I may just be unclear
on how to do this. I've kind of got it working now, but I end up sending
html, instead of json like I'd like to (I used one of the solutions posted
in your blog page's comments). Here's what I am trying to accomplish, and it
sounds very similar to what some people have posted in your comments as
well.

In my initial tree, I have four root nodes, which are all initially
populated with one child that simply says "Loading...". When the node is
expanded, I want an ajax call to the server with certain parameters (at this
point, the expanded node's id will do fine, but in the future more
parameters might be a good idea, too). What would be returned is either json
or html (I'd prefer json, however), which I could then use to create nodes
(with text, folder/file type, id, and an html link) that I would populate as
children of the expanded node. Some of these nodes would be folders again.

Sounds like a pretty simple idea, and I've pretty much hacked it together,
but I haven't yet seen how to do it with the built in code you've provided.
The code you've provided looks to me like you run it once on load or
whenever you want, and it populates the entire tree, not necessarily the
expanded nodes on their exansion.

So, am I missing something?