I currently work on other sites at the bbc and can tell you that
jquery is used on quite a number of the bbc's pages.

Being the friendly sorts that they are, the BBC has directives to
support some older browsers that jquery does not target explicitly, so
the bbc are developing their own internal library to handle many of
the things jquery does. I dare say they have their work cut out
tackling some browsers on their hit list but the developers I met are
determined to try.  The result cannot be as lean or as easy as jquery
but it works well and they're putting alot of thought into it. They
are driven by a different set of priorities.  In time, the homepage
may well be ported to their own library but jquery will continue to be
used around various other sites. I suppose it is much easier to
recruit jquery people too!

Cheers,

George