I never saw it, but the name suggests it strecthes textareas as you
write, right ?
If so, it must react to keypress, keydown, or keyup.
If you want the plugin to check at start, you could try:

$(function(){
    $('textarea.autogrow').trigger(event);
});

Where 'textarea.autogrow' is the selector that matches those
textareas, and event, try those 3 events, one at a time to see which
one makes the plugin react. (this is a hack, not the clean way).

I hope I didn't missunderstand your situation.
Hope that helps.

Ariel Flesler