You can add jQuery to your Rails project like you could to any server
technology.  The reason people say rails and proto/script go together
is in Rails you can write 'RJS' templates which is ruby code that gets
compiled into proto/script javascript code, allowing you to add
javascript effects to your page without learning javascript.  As such,
proto/script comes bundled with rails.

Here was an article that was influential to me picking jQuery:
http://jquery.com/blog/2006/08/20/why-jquerys-philosophy-is-better/
Its been awhile since I've used proto/script, and I'm sure its made a
ton of progress, but once you go jQuery, you never go back ;)