> I don't quite get "submit to a function" yet. Do you want to use a
> function that provides the data for the autocomplete list? Or call the
> function with the selected value as an argument?

I believe it would be the first option you suggested... use a function
that provides the data for the autocomplete list

Currently there are two ways to populate a list. 1 - Via a local array
of data.  2 - Via an ajax call that populates an array of data.

What I am looking for is a 3rd way of populating a list, by calling a
function.  It would work similarly to the ajax call in that it would
need to get a new list each time the search string was changed.  So
instead of sending the data to the ajax as you do in the "request"
function, it would send the request to the function, and then have a
way to get the data back and continue on it's way populating the list
as it would normally.

Apologies if this isn't clear, or not really doable.  I'm trying to
get my head around it myself, so I'm sure I'm having difficulty
explaining it well.

Thanks,

Aaron