I am encountering this same issue with the following structure:

Interestingly, it works in IE7. In Firefox, the items are grabbable, but not
droppable (divs dont move out of the way, dropping it puts it back in
original position).

Each image has a float: left attribute, as soon as I take it out, everything
works.