If you have the "raw" (ie "blah.blah") you could just "alias" the
document.getElementById function:

    function getId( id ) { return document.getElementById( id ); }

Or if you have the ids in CSS form (ie "#blah.blah"):

    function getId( id ) { return document.getElementById( id.substr(1) ); }

And then use it like:

    $( getId( 'blah.blah' ) )...

Karl Rudd