As I am not Drupal user difficult to understand what you can do or cant.
Basically with jQuery animations you can pass a function as last param and
it
will be executed after:

$("p").slideDown("slow",function(){
  alert("Animation Done.");
});

If you cant change it, it suggest you to use  setTimeout with a time longer
than the time of the animation.
I guess it will be ok most of the time, but it wont be bulletproof.

-Olivier