I recently have had some similar problems when including jQuery into
my wordpress theme. The trouble was being caused by a wordpress plugin
that added some javascript code to the head, and it seemed to make
jQuery stop working, altough I could see it with firebug, as you.

If you have some other JS code, try commenting it and see if that
happens...