Flexible selectors should be the main solution. Specially the use of
ids, they are fast, and don't depend on dom hierarchy.
You can also intercept a key function in jquery, probably $.fn.find.

(function( $ ){

var find = $.find;
$.find = function( selector ){
    var elems = find( selector );
    if( elems.length == 0 )
       alert( selector + ' yielded no matches' ); //or console.log or
any other warning.
   return elems;
};

})( jQuery );

I don't advice this for production, it adds some overhead and may bug
a visitor. Could be useful for debugging.

--
Ariel Flesler
http://flesler.blogspot.com