I have reduced the issue to a class named itemHeader. This class is
assigned to the sortable's handle param.

It is only this class that remains on top of the containing accordion.
panels. That class looks like:

.groupItem .itemHeader
{
        line-height: 28px;
        background-color: #DAFF9F;
        border-top: 2px solid #B5EF59;
        color: #000;
        padding: 0 10px;
        cursor: move;
        font-weight: bold;
        font-size: 16px;
        height: 28px;
        position: relative;
}

Anyone have any ideas on root cause here?