In this case, if you decide to make use of UI sortables, you can handle the
start and stop. Each is a passed a ui hash as the second parameter, which
includes a helper property. Here's an example:

$("#myList").sortable({
  start: function(ev, ui) {
    $(ui.helper).addClass("rounded");
  },
  stop: function(ev, ui) {
    $(ui.helper).removeClass("rounded");

The full docs are at

http://docs.jquery.com/UI/Sortables/sortable#options

Here's a full layout/portlets demo:

http://dev.jquery.com/view/trunk/ui/demos/real-world/layout/

Also, there's a dedicated jQuery UI mailing list, if you have any further
questions:

http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-ui

- Richard

Richard D. Worth