Hi Rick. I have an app with ColdFusion and jQuery Flexigrid plugin to do
pagination for large datasets. I'm using this approach:

1) using spSelectNextN stored procedure(SQL Server). This sp is a great job
by Dan G. Switzer(
http://blog.pengoworks.com/index.cfm/2006/6/19/MSSQL-2k-Stored-Procedure-for-Pagination
)
2) using Flexigrid plugin(http://webplicity.net/flexigrid/)

With this your application will display only 10(15, 20, 50 etc)
records/page.

If you need examples please contact me.

Cheers
Marco Antonio