I've been looking for a solution like this, but that will work with
any type of form input.
The code I've been using is below (where form-id is the ID of the
containing form)

It works great in Firefox but IE throws the error
'this.parentNode.borderCss.on' is null or not an object

I tried your example code above, and got the same error

here is what I was using :

// ------- Put the cursor in the first field on page load
var $firstfield = function(){
$('#form-id input:eq(0)').focus();
}
$firstfield();

Could this have anything to do with my markup? I didnt get that error
on your demo, but i did when I applied your code to my form.