Example file: http://ischagast.nl/jquery/carousel.html

In the example file you see a slideshow of news items where you can
navigate with the arrows.
I wanted too add some extra features and that's the pager option on
the bottom right. That features works great but now I also want that
when news item nr 3 is visible also number 3 in the pager gets an
extra class.

After some great explanation of Ariel Flesler I thought I could fix it
but I don't.
My first try was to get the index of the slideshow items with:
$('body.domenabled .carousel .carousel_container ul
li').each(function(index) {});

And then with:
var test = $('body.domenabled .carousel .carousel_container ul
li').index();
$('div.carousel_counter_nav ul li a').click(function() {
        alert (test.index)
});

But it al did not what I want...