First of all, I love the elegance of this plugin, thanks!

I was working on a project where I needed a simple cut transition (no
fade, just transition immediately to the next slide), and I couldn't
figure out how to do it.  I took out the fx and speed options, set
speed to 0, tried to guess and set fx to 'toggle', etc.  I even looked
through the custom transitions documentation.  There was no obvious
(for me) way to do this.

Actually, using a cut transition is a little bit of a hack for what I
really want to do (although I would love to know how to do it).  I
have overlapping slideshows and I want to be able to turn a slide off
for a specified amount of time, then fade into the next slide. The
hidden and displayed state would have different timeout values.

This example shows what I want to do, but to get this I used a
transparent gif as a slide. And since I can't straight cut between
slides, it doesn't look right:
http://www.latestproject.com/barb/builds/build13/index.html

schematically, the slideshow would look like this:
slide1          000 000 000 000 000 000
slide2          x00 x00 x00 x00 x00 x00
slide3          xx0 xx0 xx0 xx0 xx0 xx0
where a 0 is on and an x is off.