If you set the image to a background of a link the user wouldn't know
any different. They would be attributes of the same element.

14% is still good traffic coming from one browser version. Regardless,
it's the difference of looking professional and not.

There's a few different ways you could handle the nav without it being
an accordion.

I quickly came up with this for an example which works on a click. Of
course you would have to change some of this to work with the
window.location.

$(document).ready(function() {

        $(".navHead ul").hide();

        $('#innerLeftNav a').click(function() {

                $(this).parent().next('ul').show();

                $(this).css('background', 'url(http://www.msi.umn.edu/images/
bullet_arrow_down.png) #ffcc33 no-repeat');

                return false;
        })

});

/*** CSS STYLE for above code and html list

ul {

        list-style:none;
}

.navHead a{