Hi I am having Problems using hover and fade in and fade out.

I am new here and new to the Jquery I read the doc and tried making my
own script that dosen't work.

I am trying to make  a table/window fade in when a user mouse is of a
photo of a person to fade in the table with other pictures of that
person and if the mouse goes off the photo or the new faded in  window/
table  then it would fade out.

I so far have this so far.

$("document").ready(function() {});
$("#image").hover(
      function () {
        $(this).append($("<span> ***</span>"));,
         function () {
 $(this).find("span:last").remove();

I was taking the original exampel and trying to test it with my image.

can someone explain to me what is needed?? I did include the jquery.js
script.

I am having a hard time with this and ya this dosent work.