hi glen, thanks for replying.

That still wouldn't work. With that you are looking for the text
inside div elements which are descendants of of the id'd element.
What i want to select are certain text elements of the id'd element.
I figured something out, but this is surprisinlgy difficult:

<text node>
<text node>

I had to use .contains() and [nodeType=3] to pick text nodes.  not
pretty.