I just know that in jQuery + IE5.5 most selectors return empty array.
After digging into source code I found that it will try to get the
nodeName and nodeType of document (nodeType=9) which IE 5.5's document
element doesn't have these two attributes.  As a quick fix I add the
following lines at the beginning of my HTML:

if (document) {
  if (!document.nodeType) document.nodeType = 9;
  if (!document.nodeName) document.nodeName = '#document';
}

and all of my selector works.  Of course there should be other cases
failed in IE 5.5 but at least simple selectors will work

Hope this help