When you do

$('#navigation').empty().append(hex);

you're adding brand spanking new links to the DOM from straight html. They
have no special click-handler applied. Maybe hide them instead of removing
them? Then just show to restore? Otherwise, hopefully this will be of some
help:

http://docs.jquery.com/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Why_do_my_events_stop_working_after_an_Ajax_request.3F

- Richard

Richard D. Worth