actually you are not cloning your element, you are just making a
pointer of the element in this line

foo = $(this);

so its not the same element, its just a pointer comparing with an
actual element DOM object

you can see it live in action in this site if you have firebug

http://x1fm.com/music/blog
run your code

var foo = false;

jQuery('div div div div div div div div div').each(function() {

foo = jQuery(this);

// debugging in firebug
console.log(jQuery(this), foo);
console.log(jQuery(this) == foo);

});

if you get div's out of the initial selector you are going to get more
results but i think with those its just fine for now
in the firebug console check the results and get your mouse over the
elements that the trace did, you are going to see that one of them
actually gets highlighted in the rendered web page and the other
doesn't, but if you do click on them you are getting for sure the same
result, so you may want to look to another way around the problem you
were trying to solve with your solution
unless im really wrong, and if i am please guys correct my path