Follow up - I can get my applet loaded and running in a jquery tab
(issue above was applet-specific) but this leads to another question -

Is there a way ui.tabs could work that allowed an applet to stay
loaded?

I've been reading up on this and it appears there is a workaround for
hiding and revealing DIVs without unloading an applet but
jquery.ui.tabs doesn't do this.

Any thoughts?