Typical behavior is for the username and password to be sent to the
server for verification.  What you do to accomplish this on the server
side is a matter of what web development framework you are using...
Ruby on Rails, for example, or Django, or a zillion other options...
or something you create yourself.  Yes, normally the server-side code
will access a database to check that the password matches the
username.  And yes, most of the available web development frameworks
out there rely on the concept of a "session" that stays the same for a
given user, such that once a user has logged in they remain logged in,
and your pages are able to easily check and verify that fact, until
either the user logs out or their session "times out".

So you are going to need to choose a framework to work with unless you
like the idea of reinventing everything from scratch.  The framework
you choose should depend on what scripting language(s) you are already
familiar with.  There is plenty of information on these subjects out
there for the searching.