Exactly which jquery files are you using when you get these errors?
Which version of jquery and which version of jquery-ui?

I had several similar (though not identical) problems with
ui.droppable() recently, and the solution involved matching jquery
1.2.4a with jquery-ui 1.5b4.   jquery  1.2.3 caused jquery-ui 1.5b4 to
throw the errors.  Also, using the jquery-ui website's customized
download builder fixed some dependency issues that were formerly
causing "foo is not a function" errors.